EFI Constitution - Continued
Article 8 (Officers) (Executive Committee)
- The Executive Committee normally consists of six officers and six
councillors. The immediate past president is a non-voting member of
the Executive Committee for the year following his/her retirement as
president. One representative fromthe Council of Europe is also a member
de jureof the Executive Committee, but has no vote. The Officers
include a President, President-Elect, Treasurer, Deputy Treasurer, Secretary
and Deputy Secretary, who are elected in accordance with Article 20,
para 3 from among the members of the General Assembly.
- Members of the Executive Committee may not receive any salary or honorarium
in connection with their function.
- The functions of the President are:
The functions of the Secretary are:
- To convene and chair meetings of the General Assembly and of the
Executive Committee or if necessary to designate another member
of the Executive Committee as chairman for any one meeting of these
- To represent EFI in all dealings with other bodies and persons,
or to designate another member of the Executive Committee to act
as the representative, subject to the restriction imposed by Article
The functions of the Treasurer are:
- To ensure that notices of meetings are sent out, that agendas
are prepared in accordance with Articles 10 and 11, and that a proper
record is kept of all General Assembly and Executive Committee meetings;
- To ensure the drawing-up of Activity Reports without erasure or
variation, and of prospective programmes submitted for approval
by the Executive Committee and subsequent submission to the General
Assembly in accordance with Article 21 (Management and financial
- To organise the election of officers and councillors of the Executive
The members of the Executive Committee are elected from among the
General Assembly in accordance with Article 20, para 3. The term of
office of the Executive Committee councillors shall consist of a period
of 3 years, with the possibility of re-election for one further term
after an interval of at least one year.
Election of Officers of the Executive Committee
- To collect the membership fees.
- To ensure the proper maintenance of accounts and vouchers, the
preparation of interim yearly accounts, periodic accounts and prospective
budgets in accordance with Article 21.
- The President is elected for a period of two years and shall not
be eligible for re-election to the same office. The President-elect
shall normally be elected one year before taking up the office of
President and serve as President-elect during this period.
- Treasurer, Deputy Treasurer, Secretary and Deputy Secretary shall
be elected for three years and are eligible for reselection for
one further term.
Article 9 (Actions)
- The officers carry out the express instructions of the General Assembly
and may carry out, separately or together, only such acts of representation,
management and arrangements as are in conformity with the aims of EFI
and its objectives as determined by the General Assembly in accordance
with Articles 3and 6.
- Notwithstanding the preceding paragraph any act involving a financial
commitment above a sum to be set by the Executive Committee on the part
of EFI shall require the simultaneous signature of two of the officers
with the approval of the President.
- The Executive Committee shall appoint such standing or special committees
drawn from the membership as may be required to satisfy the Constitutions,
or as necessary.